Monday 6 February 2012

Over the years I'd become accustomed to the ways of the Sheriff. Still, I could not shake the ghosts of my past and those of Marian who stalked my sleep and invaded my dreams.
It had been Five years since the countless betrayals and false promises of the woman I loved.. Marian, the love of my life.

I'd resigned myself now to that loveless life of servitude and obedience begrudgingly fulfilling my promise to my late Mother. As much as this pained me daily it also brought its own rewards, ones of politics and power, fear and compliance.

I grew weary and suspicious of any female company preferring my own or none. "Women" Vasey would cackle "Slyer than Dogs Gisborne!  and much less faithful" what did Vasey know? Had he ever felt like his soul would shatter into a thousand pieces rather than then lose the most precious thing in the world he wanted so desperately to possess and to care for?

So how did I find myself here? After a few fleeting moments with a girl barely 18 years of age. Why did I feel the soft warmth of a smile as it crept over my lips, and more importantly who was she? and what would she become to me?