Thursday 23 February 2012

I tried to sleep... sat in that chair by the hearth..the fire crackling and the furs closely wrapped around me. I'd periodically check that Gwen was sleeping. I had no cause to alarm her. I wanted to protect her.

I wondered if the Sheriff having maybe sensed my fondness for this girl had sent me on a fools errand and left her to face the kind of punishment he revelled in so heartily. Making others suffer for his personal gratification. The fact that he was entertaining the Baron only made this assumption loiter even more on my mind as each hour passed and daylight grew nearer.

Tomorrow I would set about finding a way to keep her hidden from his view. I did not know how, or why I felt compelled to do this. Only that it was for my benefit as much as it were for hers.