Wednesday 25 April 2012

I did all I could to please the Sheriff. My body ached from the work I did and my thoughts never stopped, sleep never came easily to me since that night so many months ago when Sir Guy had sat at my side sleeping. He was all I thought of and yet, I knew it was foolish.

Sir Guy of Gisborne was and is a man so much higher than me. He was a man of noble birth and I was a common girl, someone to be used, to be worked to death. I was replaceable and easily so as the Sheriff and indeed the man who haunted what sleep I did get, the Baron.

When I got time away from the many errands I ran, I went to the stream and walked through the cool waters, recalling the first time Sir Guy had spoken to me in his soft and gentle tones. I stood here now, my feet bare as I walked through the damp grass, my arm was painful, the Baron once more had focussed his cold stare on me and I had panicked... the fine shirts belonging to the Sheriff I had been carrying fell to the ground and as I tried to stop them, the Baron had taken hold of me, I fought with every fibre of my being but that hadn't saved me, the flame of a candle touched my skin and as I screamed in pain he has stared into my eyes, the look within them making my heart stop.

God help me... this man would bring my death. I prayed as I lay down to sleep under the stars for Sir Guy to keep his word, to save me.